Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Indian Church - Because That's What the Artist Named It


You'd never know it but I do appreciate the arts.  Well, real ones.  Throwing random blotches of paint on a canvass and attaching some kind of meaning to it isn't art.  And real artists aren't people that let you know they're an artist within the first 5 minutes of meeting them.

But, man, I got angry when I read this article on the CBC page: Why the Art Gallery of Ontario removed 'Indian' from the name of this Emily Carr painting.  I don't even really care for the painting myself, but it was the display of audacity from an unqualified person really pissed me off this morning.

Defacing someone else's art by renaming it is a step too far.  That's even more disgusting than the obvious virtue-signaling-for-funding.  No one in their right mind would just go out and rename someone else's work, in whatever field.  Unless you're clinically retarded.

Whatever criticism Georgiana Uhlyarik receives, she's earned it and deserves it.  I'm picking on her because she's the one in the article doing the talking.  For one thing, she's only a curator.  I've seen the duties a curator has.  If she gets more than minimum wage, she's overpaid.  Someone this inept shouldn't be in any position of responsibility let alone allowed to do interviews.

Warning: Offensive Painting
So we already have the Fart Gallery making unilateral decisions with someone else's art but here's where things are extremely stupid: the AGO didn't bother to contact anyone from the estate of Emily Carr, or any kind of family member for any kind of permission or consent, like a normal person would do.  Instead, they contacted the place where the church in the painting used to be.  What kind of imbecile contacts someone that has nothing to do with the painting for permission to deface it by renaming it?  She may as well ask one neighbour if she can borrow another neighbour's shovel to dig up Emily and turn her over in her own grave.

But two can play that word game.  I read that she has twin sons.  Well, I'm going to rename them, even though she created them (probably about the only thing she can create on her own).  From now on, her kids' names are Remus and Romulus.  I asked a guy I worked with if that was OK, and he said sure.

To you kids out there, don't be a waste of sperm and egg like Miss Uhlyarik.  No one has the right or privilege to rename anyone else's art, no matter what form it takes and no matter who the person is.  Miss Uhlyarik's actions do not represent someone with integrity or class.

And if someone renames one of my songs after I'm dead, I'm totally coming back to haunt the fuck out of them.

Sorry about the language.

No comments:

Post a Comment