Friday, March 13, 2009

Using Twitter

So I started using Twitter a little while back when I got an e-mail from Derek Sivers (the guy that started CD Baby) and he always has something useful and good in his e-mails/blogs.

I liked Twitter for its less personal angle. But just like Facebook, all of a sudden, it's a contest to see who can get the most "Tweets". Am I saying that right? No, wait, "Followers" is the word I'm looking for.

It is neat to get, almost on a daily basis, e-mails saying so-and-so's following your updates. When you check some of these people out though, almost everyone and their dog is an "Entrepreneur" or some guy promoting his EBay Store (who happens to be an "Entrepreneur"himself).

When the Writer's Strike happened many years ago, its poor substitute ended up being Reality Shows. Now that there's a Recession (the convenient excuse to fire your employees) , everyone's suddenly an Entrepreneur. Or a "web marketing genius". I can see the motivational posters right now. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell a "Full Time Internet Marketer" does, but I'll guess it has the same amount of substance as me playing Dead Space on the PS3 (which isn't such a bad game). Other terms that are all-too-frequent are: Web content strategist; Founder/CEO at suchandsuch.com; Consultant; Personal Trainers; oh and everyone's a Blogger. I didn't know Blogging was an occupation. I'd say 7 out of 10 times, the webpage associated with a person is only a Blog (like what you're reading here) and that's it.

My favourtie guy on Twitter is Henry Rollins. He has 14,000 Followers but is only following 17. Nice. The Onion is good too since I can get the update at night instead of waiting for the following morning. And Glenn Hughes. Good thing that guy's still around.

Anyways, I'll still use Twitter even though I don't think it's helping with much of anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment