Friday, June 12, 2009

Broadcasting in Pause-filled Digital

Well, today's the day the States go digital for their television broadcasts.

What an incredible waste of time.

Anyways, for me living in Windsor, it does affect me a little bit. Luckily, I already had a QAM tuner built-in to my TV so picking up the stations isn't a problem. The problem is watching them. The picture is pretty great...unless it decides to snow; rain; look like it might rain; there's a chance of rain in the 5 day forecast; be windy; be breezy; or have a pigeon fly by my apartment.

I tried watching Game 6 of the NHL playoffs the other night. There's nothing quite like watching a breakaway, having the picture freeze and then kick back in after the save.

Ah, technology.

I went back to the analog station, and even though it was snowy, was way more watchable. No hiccups, no freezing - it works.

I'm not sure who sold this idea to the States but wow. Why the change? Was it a cost factor? Does the U.S. want to go back to being Isolationists and close-circuit themselves in? Is somebody getting a kick-back?

Other than picture clarity, it's a completely useless way of broadcasting. Also there hasn't been anything good on television since the Writer's Strike a few years ago.

Anyways, you can never go wrong with analog whether it's radio, TV, or telephone. It just works.

No comments:

Post a Comment